Raw Cashew Pesto
With the weather now getting warming, it's a great time to start returning some raw foods back into your kitchen and belly! One of our favorite recipes right now is a raw cashew pesto sauce. It's delicious on just about anything: pasta, veggie dip, toast, you name it! This pesto is not only a delicious snack, but also a healthy, full of protein, and takes about 10 minutes to make!
• 2 Cups Raw Cashews
• 1 Cup Basil (remove stems)
• 1 Tomato (Heirlooms are great, but any kind will do)
• 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
• 1/8 - 1/4 Cup Water
• Salt & Pepper to taste
Makes approximately 2 cups of the most amazing pesto you have ever tasted in your entire life. Get ready to seriously impress your family and friends with your uh-mazing culinary skills.
Throw all ingredients into your blender, except for the water. If you have a high powered blender (such as a Vitamix or Blendtec), you can start by adding half the water and then adding more add needed. If you have a normal blender (Cuisinart, Black&Decker, etc) start with more than half the water as needed to get the blend going. Start blender on low - you may need to help get it going by stirring the ingredients in a little, or adding by more water. Once things start to get mixed in, increase the blender speed and blend until super smooth. You can experiment with how much water to add in, depending on your desired consistency. If you accidentally make it too liquid, simply add some more cashews into the mix. Once you finish, make sure to sit back and bask in the glory of the best pesto on earth that you just whipped up in under 10 minutes!
If you like a stronger tasting pesto, you can add more basil, or some roasted garlic. This recipe yields several cups of pesto, which will keep in the fridge for at least a week. You will have an entire week to try it on everything you eat! Enjoy.
WAYS TO ENJOY IT
• Pasta!! The above photo is brown rice spaghetti pasta (gluten free) with some sauteed zucchini and mushrooms on top. If you prefer the all raw version of this dish, try zucchini "noodles" topped with massaged kale and some red bell peppers!
• Smear it on top of some toast.
• Sandwich Party! Add it to anything to kick things up a few notched One simple version is an open faced sandwich with mashed avocado + pesto + sprouts. Super yummy and quick.
• Toss it in with some veggies for a nice entree (raw or cooked)
• Use as a dip for veggies or crackers at your appetizer buffet gathering or afternoon snack time.
• Veggie sushi!
• Mix it in with some cold grains for a cool, filling salad.
• If all else fails, go for the pesto face mask. This has yet to be tested or approved by anyone, so try at your own risk!
Share your questions or comments below. Share you favorite pesto modifications from our recipe, or share your own pesto recipes for us to try!